Middle School Humanities and Language Arts Homework
Week of 1/7/08
1. There will be a test on Sumer next week:
Block III on Wed. 1/16 Block II Thurs. 1/17 Block I Friday 1/18
The test will cover the material from chapter 2 “Solving the Mystery of Sumer,
Chapter 3 “Land and Goods in Ancient Sumer”, and chapter 4 “What the Sumerians Believed and What They Knew”.
A. Your first study guide is the note taking form for chapter 2, which you completed some weeks ago. On a separate sheet of paper, you need to write the subheadings again. We will begin in class so you’ll have a model of what to do.
Read the information in the chapter under each subheading once again. Write down the important information. Compare that to the previous notes you completed. Make any additions or corrections. DUE SECOND BLOCK THIS WEEK.
B. Your second study guide is to complete the forms “Questions To Ask About a Culture” and “Early Sumerian Economy”. These forms will be handed out in class. This is about the information in chapter 3 and partially chapter 4. This is DUE IN FIRST BLOCK NEXT WEEK. You will be allowed to have this chart on the day of the test.
C. The third and final study guide on chapter 4 will be handed out during the second block class this week.
1. We will have a final discussion about The Watsons in class on Tuesday.
BRING the BOOK.
On Tuesday, I will hand out a homework assignment that will be the prep for the final writing activity. This will be due on Thursday and you will be doing the final writing in class on Thursday.
2. An art project related to The Watsons will be assigned in class on Tuesday.
Due the following Tuesday, January 15.
7 th grade
1. Wordly Wise tests on chapter 5 and 6 will be this Friday, Jan.11th.
2. Wordly Wise unit 7 is due next Wed., Jan. 16th.
3. Homework on the Holocaust prior to and during WW II will be handed out this week. Due dates to be determined later.
1. A final essay, art project, and vocabulary test are assigned for To Kill a Mockingbird.
Final Writing and Project on To Kill A Mockingbird
1. The theme is the controlling idea beneath the plot, the force behind the characterizations. In Harper Lee’s novel there is not one single theme, but many competing for attention and prominence. Following are some of the themes in the book:
racism, prejudice, bigotry
loss of innocence
isolation and courage
integrity and/or kindness in the face of injustice
need to walk in another person’s shoes
Choose one or more of these themes to write about in essay format. The essay should be a five-paragraph essay (can be longer, but not shorter). You may choose 1 theme, you may write about how the different themes are developed in the book, or you may compare two or more themes. On Thursday, Jan. 10th, you need to have developed your thesis, completed your planning sheet and written a draft of the first paragraph as a minimum. You MUST include quotes from the book and examples to explain your points of view.
The final essay and art project explained below are due on Thursday, Jan. 17th.
Choose ONE of the following:
2. Create an art project that represents one of the main themes on which your essay is based. It may be a collage, an assemblage, a painting, a sculpture or a mixed media project. There must be a full paragraph explaining the theme and how the art project represents that theme. (Note: the few sentences most of you wrote for the previous art project were inadequate for that AND will certainly be inadequate for this project).
3. Create an art project that represents a current issue (such as the Jena 6 case, but there are MANY others) that is somehow related to one or more of the issues in the novel. It may be a collage, an assemblage, a painting, a sculpture or a mixed media project. There must be a full paragraph explaining the theme and how the art project represents that theme. (Note: the few sentences most of you wrote for the previous art project were inadequate for that AND will certainly be inadequate for this project).
4.There will be a vocabulary test on Friday, Jan. 18th. You will receive a study guide.